It’s almost Field Trip Week in Exploring Nature With Children! This week is all about choosing a new place to go for your nature walk; either an entirely new place to you and your child, or somewhere you very rarely visit. Here’s a list of free virtual field trips for your child to enjoy without having to leave home at all:
- The British Museum: The Museum of the World – Not a virtual field trip, but an incredible resource!
- The Natural History Museum: “Can’t get out far to explore nature? On this page you’ll find activities and ideas to occupy yourself and family at home, in your garden or local outdoor space.”
- Beamish Museum: an open air museum in North East England that brings the region’s history alive.
- Museum of Science: A variety of daily live stream & webinar content.
- Smithsonian: Virtual tours of exhibits & distance learning webinars & activities for all ages.
- Bright Farms: An interactive tour designed to teach kids, parents and teachers about indoor farming.
- FarmFood 360: Canadian farm & food tours.
- Mount Rushmore: Take a virtual tour of the “Majestic figures of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln, surrounded by the beauty of the Black Hills of South Dakota”
- Atlanta Zoo Panda Cam.
- Bronx Zoo: Virtual Zoo
- Chester Zoo: “From AMAZING aardvarks, an elephant POOL PARTY and fantastic fossa!”
- Houston Zoo: “enjoy a live look at animals that call the Houston Zoo home! See the herd of Asian elephants wander through their enormous habitat. Watch as giraffes nibble lettuce fed to them by guests at the feeding platform; you could join them on your next visit. See the rhinos roll in their mud puddle or the flamingos float next to a waterfall. See the chimpanzees interact with guests at their window or snooze in a hammock.”
- Reid Park Zoo: Zoo Cams
- San Diego Zoo: “Live cams and videos of your favourite animals”
- Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary: Koala cams
- The Donkey Sanctuary: Webcams of the English donkey sanctuary
- Monterey Bay Aquarium: “Be delighted by the antics of our sea otters or mellow out to the hypnotic drifting of our jellies. Experience the wonder of the ocean no matter where you are.”
- Kew Gardens: Virtual tours of Kew in London
- Virtual Gardens tours: 9 incredible gardens around the world, including Monet’s gardens in Giverny
- Wookey Hole virtual tour: Take the virtual tour of the caves and still feel the sense of awe and wonder.
Exploring Nature with Children is an open and go curriculum. To make it even easier, I have created a free calendar for you to download.
If you’re over on Instagram, do pop over and say hello! The Instagram page is very much about community; think of it as your virtual home school co op! Our community uses the #exploringnaturewithchildren hashtag, & also specific weekly hashtags to enable you to connect with other families working through the ENWC curriculum. This week’s hashtag will be: #ENWCfieldtripweek